The Queensland Health project aims to improve the skill and confidence of the health workforce by promoting the integration of multiple helpdesk services and migration of legacy portals onto SaaS Platform “ServiceNow”.
Specifically, Queensland Health IT Helpdesk is the IT department within Queensland Health providing IT related support of their 900+ IT services to health staff all over Queensland.
I was tasked to help Queensland Health IT Helpdesk rebuild their self service portal through internal customer research and targeted user testing. High fidelity front-end design prototypes through multiple iterations, based on customer insights, focus group workshops and user testing were utilised. We partnered with Accenture, which is the developer team providing ServiceNow solutions.
Sub-Projects Worked On
- Self Service Portal
- Online Provisioning System
- Online IT Store
- Service Catalog
- Mobile App
- Email Notification
- Password Reset
The project was split into nine sections to work on, which was prioritised by the product owner after consulting the stakeholders. My process with each section was based on the following Lean UX process which was to incorporate the key phases of Discovery, Research, Ideation and Implementation.
- Customer Journey – Step in the shoes of our customers and go through the process to understand what customers are experiencing.
- Support Structure – Understand the support model.
- In-house Focus Group – Conducting a focus group session to gather insights.
- In-house User Testing – Conducting a user testing session with customers.
- Survey – Using online survey to gather current customers’ opinion of the website.
My research encompassed:
- Understanding the user goals and needs
- Uncovering pain points with the existing user journey
- Determining the success of the tasks measured
Analysing the Findings
For our findings interview sessions, customer journey discovery, page analytics and survey were conducted.
Engaging the help of the Customer Experience Officer, we were able to interview 30 staff from various backgrounds and hospitals in Queensland, we discovered that most users were frustrated with the current Self Service Portal.
- 89% showed no confidence in using the self service portal to lodge a problem or submit a request
- 68% of the users relied on help from co-workers (who had went through certain process successfully) to navigate the portal
- 85% would phone IT Support and asked them to complete the tasks online on their behalf. This led to a major backlog and inefficiency for the IT Support department as it hindered their role in assisting with genuine requests and better customer service.
Wireframing the Solution
- Reducing the number of steps to minimise time to completion
- Auto-Complete content as much as possible
- Establishing clearer visual form hierarchy by grouping related fields
- Standardisation styling and UI to keep the portal wholesome
From the insights gathered, we created 2 wireframes for a separate discovery workshop sessions. From the sessions, staff were very engaged and provided clearer insights as to their expectations of the portal. They identified the key important elements on the page that best service them.
After 2nd Iteration of testing we had a better understanding of users needs base on their actions, which leads to a total different layout on Iteration 3 and the final Iteration 5.
Based on the findings and wireframe workshop sessions, I started building a prototype. We were able to hold a few user testing sessions to test against the set number of Tasks. The main aim for the sessions were to observe user behaviours, time taken to complete a task and gain feedbacks. Equipped with these insights, we improved with several iterations.
After second iteration of testing we had a better understanding of users needs base on their actions, which leads to a total different layout on Iteration 3 and the final Iteration 5.
After the prototypes were validated by the business analyst, we worked closely with the Accenture development team to get the design up on staging environment. As a team we worked cohesively on the designs as per high fidelity prototype including pixel perfect and functionality. Occasionally I would take on the role of a front end developer and do front end coding css.
If time permits, I would conduct user testing sessions to validate the designs. Several iterations would have to be completed due to changes.
Once we did a final round of checking and given approval by the BA, the page would go live.
QHIT had increasing user confidence in using the support website, resulting in a drastic improvement in user engagement since the site launch. After the rebuild, there was an increase in IT support efficiency by 900%, user satisfaction by 68% and customer confidence by 80%.